South Kinloss Presbyterian Church looking back and looking forward

The first Presbyterian Church in the Lucknow community was South Kinloss, which was built in 1856 on the east side of Bruce County Road about a mile and a half north of Lucknow. Murdoch MacKenzie heard that someone was planning to buy the land on Conc. 2 in order to build a tavern where the current church stands. Murdoch gathered some members of the congregation and in a month, they were able to make up the 10% initial payment of $15 for the land. The tavern was never built but, in 1863, a large frame building that could seat 300 people was erected. The current brick church was finished in 1912 and the opening service was held on May 24 that year. Read More


Read original story from Lucknow Sentinel


Posted

in

by

Tags: