Saugeen Shores has updated the municipality’s traffic and parking by-laws with the goal of increasing safety on local roads.
A media release from the municipality says the update was completed following input from more than 75 residents.
The update adds seven new stops signs, seven new four-way stops and four new Community Safety Zones.
It also creates a universal speed limit in urban areas of 40km/hr, unless otherwise posted, while several other areas will see reduced speed limits.
New parking by-laws will also be introduced this fall. Parking will no longer be allowed on some streets. Others will see greater time restrictions during the school year.
New Stop Signs at:
- Westlinks Drive at Westlinks Drive
- Walker Crescent at Bruce Street and Mary Rose Ave
- Mary Rose Avenue at Bruce Street and Highland Street
- McLean Crescent at Highland Street and Mary Rose Ave
- Forestlake Drive at McNabb Street
- Marshall Place at Forestlake Drive
- Six Iron Drive at Bruce Road 17
New 4-way stops:
- Grosvenor Street and Morpeth Street
- Green Street and Waterloo Street
- Waterloo Street and Catherine Street
- High Street and Huron Street
- Bruce Street and Joseph Street
- Ivings Drive and Stickle Street
- Stafford Street and Gustavus Street
Speed limit changes:
Old town limits of Port Elgin: reduced to 40km/hr unless otherwise posted. Exceptions include Gustavus Street, Goderich Street and Concession 10 east of highway 21, which remain at 50km/hr. Streets in Southampton remain at either 40km/hr or 50km/hr as posted.
Concession 4 from Highway 21 to the end: reduced to 60 km/hr from 80km/hr
Concession 10 from Highway 21 to east of the Woodland Trail crossing: reduced to 60 km/hr.
Woodland Trail crossing to North Shore Road: reduced to 40km/hr.
Sideroad 18/19 from Concession 2 over the new bridge: reduced to 60 km/hr from 80km/hr.
New Community Safety Zones:
Fines are increased in the following zones at all times of day and night throughout the year.
Northport Community Safety Zone
Joseph Street – from Bruce Street to Waterloo Street
Waterloo Street – from Biener Street to Mary Street
Mary Street – from Waterloo Street to Goderich Street
Bruce Street – Joseph Street to Rosner Drive
Saugeen District Community Safety Zone
Gustavus Street – Wellington to Thede Drive
G. C Huston and Southampton Hospital Area Community Safety Zone
Victoria Street N – High Street to Clarendon Street
Clarendon Street – Victoria Street to Grey Street N
High Street – Victoria Street to Grey Street N
Grey Street N – High Street to Clarendon Street
St. Joseph/Saugeen Central Community Safety Zone
Stafford Street – Green Street to Provincial Street
Southampton Street – Green Street to Provincial Street
Kaake Street – Green Street to Catherine Street
Bruce Street – Green Street to Provincial Street
Centennial Drive – Bruce Street to Provincial Street
Gustavus Street – Bruce Street to Waterloo Street
Johnston Avenue – Bruce Street to Waterloo Street
Catherine Street – Bruce Street to Waterloo Street
Eugenie Street – Stafford Street to Waterloo Street
Provincial Street – Bruce Street to Stafford Street
- Both sides of Huron Street from South Street to Albert Street
- The North side of Island Street from Front Street to 150m east of Huron Street
- The North side of South Street from Huron Street to Victoria Street
- The North side of Mill Street from Harbour Street to Highland Street (switched from the south side)
Parking on the following streets is restricted during the school year, Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.:
- The South side of Joseph Street from 30m east of the cross-walk to 9m west of Waterloo St.
- The North side of Gustavus Street from Kaake Street to Stafford Street.
Read original story from Midwestern Ontario News – BlackburnNews.com